Background

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

How a Goat Saved Christmas, or, How to be the 99% Without Having to Hold a Sign or Face Potential Pepper Spray Incidents



There are lots of really great deals going on right now. But this year more than ever I'm struck with how many bad deals going on, too. And I'm so tired of my money NOT going to help people suffering from those bad deals that I'm shopping with a conscience for Christmas (and longer, hopefully).

It's no surprise that I buy most of my clothing and kitchen gadgets from thrift stores. Mostly because I like the search and the individuality you'll find there, but also because I don't care to support big businesses. This is a delicate topic, though, because I know not all big businesses are greedy corporations that only want to make money for their own welfare.

BUT, in today's culture, it's so difficult to figure out who is worth supporting and who isn't. And just because I support smaller businesses doesn't mean my money is going toward a better cause. Just because they're independent doesn't mean they spend their money "wisely" either. I place "wisely" in quotes because that, too, is up for debate depending on your definition of what a wise purchase would be. You see how quickly this issue gets complicated.

But I am an American citizen and a Christian, and I have a responsibility to steward my money and my earth wisely.

I'm tired of hearing how so many big businesses are screwing their employees out of good health care, overtime pay and good working conditions. I'm tired of filling my home with crap and supporting the businesses that underpay their factory workers (or worse, employ children to work for them).

I don't want to stand out in the cold holding a sign (I really hate being cold), and frankly I think there are WAY more effective ways of changing the government's spending habits and bringing the power back into the hands of the people than setting up camp and causing sanitary nastiness that MY tax money has to pay for! I'd rather it go toward education, or putting child abusers behind bars.

Furthermore, I feel I have a responsibility to purchase products that won't contribute to the massive growing trash heaps or belching smoke that plastic recycling plants create.

Anyway, a few years ago I donated money to World Vision in a "goat purchase" that would help a family in Africa (World Vision is totally legit; you can look it up). I did this for two reasons - 1. I knew my brother couldn't sell the gift to get something else (yeah, pretty crappy of me to be influenced by that, but I chuckle at it now). 2. The goat was a long-term gift that would provide milk and cheese and, if needed, meat for the family. It wasn't a trendy, plastic toy that would end up in the dump a year later.



I'm returning to that concept again this year, and hopefully I'll continue the tradition for years to come.

Whether I volunteer, donate money, or just make sure I'm purchasing used, handmade or small business products, I want to purchase for the long-haul and support the systems that I agree with. Helping starving people is one of those systems. And hopefully, if enough people stop giving their money to government subsidized businesses, the government would HAVE to change in order to make a profit.

So, in order to change my spending habits for good, I'm asking you all to keep me accountable. Here's my purchasing outline (it's not the perfect list; there are exceptions to every "good" idea, but you get the idea):



- Purchase stuff for someone who actually needs it
- Only purchase items from independently owned/small businesses vs. chain stores (food and drinks included)
- Only purchase clothing, shoes and accessories from 2nd hand shops/antique stores/online websites (Etsy, Craigslist, Ebay, Freecycle)
- If purchasing something new, make sure it's made by an artist
- Make a conscious effort to stay away from purchasing plastic, whether in the product's composition or in its packaging (bye bye to buying red plastic party cups...)

There are a few major areas that will take some time to find alternatives for, like communication, travel, household cleaning supplies, makeup and technology, so for now I'll still probably have to purchase those from big businesses. Let me know if you hear of good alternatives!

Goat image borrowed from http://blog.reversethecursechicago.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment