Background

Thursday, December 29, 2011

2011 in Hindsight

I'm taking a moment to think back on the happenings of 2011. New Year's Resolutions aren't something to take lightly, so some hindsight is important.

And this past year has definitely been an interesting one.

January began with Jamie and I going to New York and Boston for his birthday. In the winter. We had a great time, minus the bed bugs I was plagued with in NY (yuck). I'd love to go back in the spring or fall sometime. Minus the bed bugs.


March put Fukushima on the map when the 9.0 magnitude earthquake hit, killing tens of thousands and putting many more in danger of nuclear exposure. Obviously Fukushima is now a ghost town, but people from the town are still dealing with the aftermath of nuclear exposure, homelessness, discrimination from other Japanese, etc. etc.


Oh, and Charlie Sheen was fired. Winning?

In April we bought a vacation package (NOT a timeshare). Last month was our final payment and now we can actually plan a trip! Anyone want to go to Europe or anywhere else in the world and split 5-star, $260/week accommodations?


We also celebrated the royal wedding of Kate and William at work. I won two prizes - one for best dressed, and the other for most creative dish. Thanks to my gingerbread cookie cutter and a couple of well-placed rings, my royal PB&J sandwiches were a hit!



In May, we learned that Osama bin Laden had been killed during a US Navy SEAL operation.

Jamie and his best friend, John, traveled to Gettysburg to play soldiers on the battlefield.

In June, Hikers Unite! took its first overnight trip to Yosemite where several members conquered Half Dome.


In July, the popular court case regarding Casey Anthony came to a close finding Anthony not guilty of her daughter's death.


NASA launched their final shuttle and officially retired their shuttle fleet.


Our own Sacramento LAUNCH experienced another successful event celebrating local art, music and fashion.


Jamie and I went to Alcatraz with my folks where my father and my husband experienced the cell blocks for the first time.


In August we moved into our new duplex where we now have two bedrooms, a real backyard and a fireplace!

September saw the 2nd Annual Autumn Harvest Masquerade after a false start in July. We had to push it back due to low ticket sales, but the actual event was beautiful, and we raised over $1500 for Wind Youth Services.


The Occupy Wall Street protests made headlines with tons of arrests and random acts of pepper spraying.


In October I tried my hand at jazz singing and, while I didn't end up with a regular gig (oops), I accomplished my goal of singing jazz at The Shady Lady.


This also marks the month of Steve Jobs' death.


And Cassie's birthday.


November. November and December both rushed by with holidays, birthdays, etc., but I'll never forget how fun it was to watch my closest family and friends compete in an Amazing Race themed birthday party for my 30th.


Did I mention we sent in our audition video for the actual Amazing Race TV show?

That just leaves December. I joined a band.

I also joined Marci's annual Candy Consortium and made delicious Oreo Truffles.


And Jamie and I celebrated Christmas with his and my families all sitting down to dinner together. That was pretty special, and I don't have a single picture of that. So here's a picture of someone else's family instead.


Sometimes I tend to remember events with the negative stuff, but this list was impressively positive (minus a lot of the the world news).

So I think my resolution should reflect that. Feel free to add your resolution(s) in the comment box and let's greet the New Year with a fresh perspective and a healthier life.

Susan's New Year Resolutions:

- Become more of the positive person you were created to be. Recall the positive moments and let go of the negative ones.
- Bring life and light wherever you go.
- Be more appreciative of those who have stuck by you. You're not the easiest person to deal with, and their patience and loyalty speak volumes to their character.
- Teach what you know to those who want to learn.
- Make time for the really important things in life. And no, washing the dishes and cleaning the house isn't ALWAYS an important thing.
- Don't sweat the small stuff (remember that one?).
- Pursue the lonely.
- Serve the needy.
- Love until you don't have to remind yourself.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment