Background

Monday, February 21, 2011

Past Musings Worthy of Re-Visiting

He Who Has Been Forgiven Much

46You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. 47Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."

48Then Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." Lk. 7:46-48

"He who has been forgiven much, loves much." What an amazing, and yet difficult concept at times. Sometimes when I have had to humble myself after a foolish act, it can be so difficult to love people. BUT... I'm not sure that love was the true love Jesus spoke of when He told this to the disciples.

Love is more "patient and kind...", not a smiling face or a phone call I was supposed to make. It's looking at someone in the eyes, knowing full well what they've done, and realizing in your own heart that you are no better, even though you thought you were. You are no stronger. I am no wiser, I am no more capable. Jesus is the only one ... He puts in me what I can not put in myself. Grace. And that grace can only come after I've allowed Him to forgive me for what continue to be the stupidest mistakes of my life. Love is not always "doing" things because you think that's what they need or want. It's humbling. It's just understanding. It's just... long-suffering. Long suffering. Have I ever suffered long? And that, for someone else? Perhaps. But I've only known the bliss of that suffering after I've walked in their shoes (and most definitely not on purpose... because I thought I was better than that).

And so Jesus, get this, JESUS underwent all the same temptations we deal with:

18Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted." Heb. 2:18

He suffered. He suffered long. Because He knew we would suffer, in our pain, our guilt, our shame. And He wanted to be able to look us in the eyes and know what it was we went through. So we can now look others in the eyes, unwavering, with compassion and LOVE. And forgive.

Grace. How strong are the arms of grace. God, how You've carried me, taught me how to wear grace and pass it on to those I love, who have had to look me in the eyes and tell me something no one ever wants to say. And I can have grace. Because I am no better, and because He has had grace for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment